Social Network: What Platform?
Social networks – which should I use – Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook?”
Social media and which platform to use is often the first place people start. Actually, the choice of platform is best taken with awareness and knowledge of how the different platforms can help you achieve different goals, and whether your target audience is using them.
When I work with business owners on their social networking plans, I help them look at:
- How the platforms you use work and how you can use them most effectively and efficiently
- That the platforms you are using have your target audience present for you to connect and communicate with. (Strategy Coaching & Listening Audits)
The good news is that you have lots of choice! That can be a challenge in itself to know what is out there and which may work for you.
- Ease of use
- Resource – how often do they need updating, and who will do that?
- How much time you’ll spend on social networking, compared to other marketing for your business
- What your audience / target market is
- Where they hang out online.
The good news is that most platforms are free, although some have a paid element, meaning that these are effective and low cost ways to add presence and credibility to your online visibility.
A couple of top tips to get you started:
- Always start with listening first to understand how the platforms work and if your audience is present
- Consider some advice or traing to get you up to speed, quicker
- Start small and organically with clear goals
- Measure your successes so you can do more of what is working
- Don’t just rely on social media – use different platforms, tools and networking in “real life” to get results. Social media is a communications tool, not a pot of gold!
Watch out soon for some overviews of social network platforms to further help you with the “what is a social network” question
Check out our “Social Media: How to” page to see how to get started and information on our different training programs and one to one coaching.